Use this handy calculator as a guide to how many gallons of fence stain you will need for your project. I have included the popular brands we have reviewed on this site so you can feel confident when placing your order.
- Input the total linear feet for your fence and the height.
- Select one or two coats.
- Select your stain brand. If you are unsure which one you will choose, you can select TWP for a middle of the road option.
- Different wood species absorb more or less stain. Selecting the correct wood type will give a more accurate result.
- Select whether you will stain one side or both.
- Likewise, older wood will require more stain. Check the box if your fence is 4+ years old.
Fence Stain Calculator
Notes for using the calculator:
- I have used the official coverage rates published by the stain manufacturers for the fence stain calculator. If you find you are using more or less stain than anticipated try adjusting your application technique to match the coverage rate predicted by the manufacturer.
- If you are unsure which brand you would like to use I highly suggest you check out our fence stain review page.
- The amount of stain suggested by this calculator should give you enough to complete your project and a little extra. I would rather have half a gallon left over than run out just before the job is complete.
- If you would like to see a stain brand added to this list feel free to let us know on our contact page.